Fall is the best time for some home maintenance as it allows you to prepare for the harsh weather conditions that winter could bring. That said, first on your list must be to make sure that your roofing, windows, and exterior walls are well-maintained. However, it is also important to check on your plumbing systems for leaks, clogs, and other issues.
This article will help you learn more about what causes clogged drains and how to prevent further damage.
Things That Clog up Your Drains
There are many things that end up clogging your bathroom, laundry room, and kitchen drains. To help you diagnose the major problem and come up with the best solution to unclog the drains, here are the areas you should check.
- Bathroom – Bathtubs, showers, and bathrooms sinks are the areas that are commonly clogged in your bathroom. The most common culprit is hair. This is because your body hair naturally sheds off while bathing. So hair often ends up in your bathroom drains. For toilets, the primary culprits are tissues, feminine hygiene products, diapers, and other toiletries.
- Kitchen – In the kitchen, you’ll often find food grease and things that you accidentally dropped while eating, cooking, or even washing the dishes. Remember, food should never go down the drain, but sometimes, we let the scraps run down and these could lead to buildup in the pipes. In the same way, fat and grease find their way to your pipes, solidify, and cause major pipe blockage.
- Laundry Room – The main cloggers in the laundry room are the lint and debris that come off when you wash your clothes. You can also see grime and dirt in laundry tubs, so when you wash them off, they directly go to the drain and can potentially block pipes.
What to Do When You Have Blocked Drains and Pipes
If you don’t know how to unclog drains and pipes, it may be best to seek the help of plumbing professionals. They have the knowledge and skills to diagnose and fix your drain clogs. This is especially true if the blockage is caused by tree roots in your pipes.
What Steps You Should Take to Prevent Further Damage
- Call for a drain camera inspection. One sure way to check whether your drains are blocked is to have a drain camera inspection. It is a quick and efficient way to prevent emergency situations that can cost you a lot of money just for repair. So it’s a preventative measure to check a smaller problem that can become big if not taken into consideration. This can also tell whether your drains should be cleaned.
- Maintain and clear your drain tiles. You can clear or maintain your drain tiles in two ways. First, use a power auger or a cable machine. Second is by using hydro flushing. There’s no need to use a cable machine or a power auger for this method.
Investing in regular plumbing system checks is better than having to deal with big emergency plumbing issues in the future. Have your pipes and drains inspected for any clogs or damage by professional plumbers!
Bromac Mechanical offers reliable plumbing services and heating solutions. Our team goes above and beyond to handle all your plumbing needs. Schedule an online appointment today and let us take care of your pipes and drains.